Sunday, January 10, 2010

Opinion vs. Fact

We all have our own opinions.  They are just that.  Opinions.  They may be opinions based on fact but still "opinions" nonetheless.  Why one side feels more entitled than the other, to not only have, but to express their own opinions is beyond me.  Why one feels "entitled" that only their opinion is the factual, right one, is beyond me.  I understand everyone thinks they are right.  I think I am too.  But I have tried very hard to state in my postings on the Kelsey Briggs case, if things are my opinions, if they are fact, if it was something I was told, or heard.  Yes, I could have overlooked that on postings from time to time.  But I do not intentionally post my opinion as fact. I do not say..."it is FACT that Raye Dawn Porter Smith killed Kelsey".  I state that it is my opinion that she did, based on the facts and evidence in this case.  My opinion very well could be right.  The majority of what I have seen from people in polls, on the internet and in speaking in general to people, the majority have the same opinion as I do.  Does that make it right? No.  But it doesn't make me wrong either.
Because I feel (in my opinion) that Raye Dawn is the guilty one, does not mean that I am a "Porter supporter), it doesn't mean I have "conjugal visits" with him in prison,  nor does it mean I think he is totally innocent in this.  Kelsey said that "daddy Mike" hurt her head.  I believe Kelsey.  The only time I have any kind of problem with that is when I think of the several times that Raye Dawn stated that -if you tell a child something enough they believe it-  I often wonder why she would even say that.
If I had been sitting in the courtroom at either the trial or the hearing and taken notes, I do not believe it would be fair to post publicly, my own interpretations of someone's behaviors, figeting, etc.  What I may perceive as Raye Dawn's chains rattling when her leg was shaking during testimony, as being her being nervous because she was lying, another may percieve as being visibly shaken and distraught with grief.  For me to post my interpretations of the actions or behaviors, to me would be misleading to the reader. They weren't there, and my interpretation may not be the way the reader would have interpreted the same things.  To me, that would be misrepresenting the truth.  If I truely believed what I believe and have faith in my opinions and the facts and evidence as I see them, why would I feel the need to add my little remarks and opinions in with the facts?  I simply wouldn't.
 I have no stake in the outcome of this case.  None.  Raye Dawn is sitting in prison to serve a 27 yr sentence.  I don't believe she will be getting out any time soon.  I have a right to that belief, as it is my opinion.  My opinions will not change that.  Nothing I say will change that.  The facts of the case are what they are.  They are not changing either.
Yes, I have stood up for the Briggs.  So what?  That is my right as it is the right of the supporters of Raye to support and stand up for her.  I do have a problem with people lying about the Briggs in a sleazy attempt at defending Raye Dawn.  If you have no other defense of her, than to lay blame and suspision on one of the Briggs, then you really have no defense at all of Raye Dawn.  The facts are, the Briggs tried to get help and protect Kelsey.  Gayla stated "we was starting to watch him".  Did she call DHS or law enforcement to report her suspicions that caused her and RD to start to "watch him"?  Did she email the Govenor? Howard Hendrick? anyone? about her suspicions? No.  Would it have made a difference if she had done any of those things?  We will never know, will we?  Knowing that her daughter had her child taken away from her because of abuse and allegations of abuse, I would think she would have done something. I don't have to live with that though, she does.  Kathie did everything she knew to do to help save Kelsey.  But in the end this is what matters and this is the facts...Gayla, Kathie and Lance did NOT kill Kelsey.  The only two people with Kelsey with the opportunity were Porter and Raye Dawn. That's it.  So, no it does no good to speculate on what if Gayla did this, well if Kathie hadn't done that, if Lance had done this.....no good at all...none of them killed Kelsey.  more later....

2 comments: